Messages

Blog entries

About Me

My photo
I want to grow as a leader, and I want to help others grow. Sharing my thoughts on leadership is intended to help us grow together into all God wants for us. I hope you enjoy my blog.

Followers

Monday, February 8, 2016

The Gates of Hell

My wife and I recently returned from a trip to Israel.  One of the places I was looking forward to seeing was Caesarea Philippi.  We drove up the 35 miles or so from the Sea of Galilee to the place that is today called Banias.  There we saw a large rock face with a cave in it.  Our tour guide told us this cave was known as the gate of hell.  Previously it had a stream running out of it.  Why did Jesus walk up to this place with His disciples?  We read in Matt 16:13-18, "When Jesus came into the region of Caesarea Philippi, He asked His disciples saying, 'Who do men say that I, the Son of Man am?'  So they said, 'Some say John the Baptist, some Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.'  He said to them, 'But who do you say that I am?'  Simon Peter answered and said, 'You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.'  Jesus answered and said to him, 'Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.  And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.'"  The name Peter was petros in Greek, meaning a little stone.  The word rock was petra in Greek, meaning a huge boulder.  Jesus was standing in front of this huge rock face, with the gate of hell in the background, and here He revealed Himself as the Christ, the Son of God.  On this rock of revelation Jesus will build His church.  Peter, as a stone, will be a part of this building, just as every believer is a living stone, being built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ, 1 Pet. 2:5.  This church, this huge rock, will never be overcome by the gates of hell.  The kingdom of darkness will never be victorious over, or prevail against the church.  He gave us the keys of the kingdom of heaven with the power to bind and to loose.  He holds the keys of hell and of death, and is alive forevermore, Rev. 1:18.  You are victorious over all the power of hell through the revelation of who Jesus is.  In Him, and through Him, we overcome every power of darkness.  The church will be victorious until Jesus comes!

No comments:

Post a Comment